Not every long-term couple wants to get married, and although commitment can be scary, it doesn’t mean those who have no desire to tie the knot aren’t capable of it. In reality, they just understand these important things about love:
1. COMMITMENT DOESN’T HAVE TO COME WITH A RING. The number one reason people give for wanting to get married is because they want to show their commitment to each other. That’s great, but it doesn’t mean those who don’t aren’t committed. You don’t need a piece of jewelry to prove it.
2. A WEDDING DOESN’T ALWAYS FINANCIALLY MAKE SENSE. Sure, you can just go to the court and sign papers, but usually your family and friends still want to make a big party out of the occasion. According to TIME, that party averages to $31,213 for American weddings, and the price keeps rising. Lots of couples would rather spend that money on something more worthwhile, and that’s fine.
3. GETTING MARRIED DOESN’T GUARANTEE A HAPPY ENDING. Our culture tends to make it seem like a wedding is the be all, end all in your relationship, which is obviously not the case. For those who grew up seeing unhappy married couples that resent each other but stayed to keep up appearances, marriage can seem more like prison than bliss.
4. SOME OF US JUST THINK MARRIAGE IS OUTDATED.Sure, it has a historical significance, but marriage doesn’t hold the same significance it once did. Women are able to make their own money these days, and have sex and kids out of wedlock without so much of the social stigma. The reasons to tie the knot are just dwindling more and more.
5. THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO REAP THE FINANCIAL BENEFITS.There’s no denying that there are financial and tax-related benefits to getting married. That’s great, but you can get them through other channels, as well, like domestic partnership, common law marriage, or a civil union. What about protecting and sharing your assets if you split up? Well, people who aren’t married can come up with a contract on how they would split up their assets just like married couples can get prenups.
6. THE ONLY WAY TO NOT GET DIVORCED IS TO NOT GET MARRIED. It’s sad but true. We can’t ignore just how common divorces are now. Sure, any relationship can end, but if you were never officially married, thankfully the split is less of a legal nightmare.