If you are married, you have the honor to pray for your marriage. Don’t be discouraged by your current situation, remember that your prayers reach our loving Father and we have seen in scripture that the prayers of the righteous are powerful and effective.
Just as God’s heart was moved with Abraham’s prayer in Genesis 18, God’s heart will be moved in regards to your marriage. Your situation could change in a matter of moments or months. Even if it takes years for you to see the fruit of your prayers, you know that all things work perfectly in God’s timing.
Prayer can be overwhelming if you overthink it, but if you get back to the basics of prayer, it can be the simplest most powerful thing you can do for your marriage. Maybe you feel that your prayers are too simple, too short or just not powerful enough. Be encouraged that God is never impressed by the length or complexity of your prayers. He just wants you to pray with sincerity.
My best tip for prayer is to pray the scriptures. When you pray the scriptures you know that you are praying in accordance to God’s will. Not only will this allow you to pray with more confidence, it will also allow you to pray more often because you are not searching for words to pray, you are simply praying the scriptures.
Here are five steps that you can take to pray powerful prayers for your marriage starting today.
1. Start off with an honest conversation. If there is any offense between you and your spouse, take time to work that out before going into prayer.
2. Write down three areas of your relationship that you want to focus on. It could be anything from finances, intimacy, forgiveness, health, career, etc.
3. Pick out one or two scriptures for each area that you want to focus on. You can search scripture topics online or use a concordance to search words and phrases that relate to your topic.
4. Turn that scripture into a prayer. For example, turn Matthew 6:33 into a prayer by saying “Lord, thank you for giving us everything we need as we seek first your kingdom and your righteousness.”
5. Speak the prayers out loud. Journaling your prayers is a wonderful habit but remember that God put life and death in the power of your tongue. In gratitude for this gift, speak life by saying your prayers out loud.
By speaking scripture based prayers for your marriage, you can have boldness as you pray before the throne of God because you know that you are praying in accordance with His will.
Bond with your spouse by searching the scriptures and creating these prayers together. Challenge yourselves to pray the scriptures over your marriage every day this week. Not only will you see the Holy Spirit gently refining your marriage but your prayer life will be stronger and you will have a peace concerning the things that you have been praying for.