A very wise woman once sang, “If you want to know, it’s in his kiss.” It’s true. You can tell a lot about a guy from how he kisses, including things like whether he likes you, how he’ll be in bed and bits of his personality. Here are 12 common kissing styles, and what they say about the guy who you’re smooching.
1. THE PECK This is a simple, closed mouth kiss that’s most often given on the cheek. It’s short, quick and doesn’t really involve any intimacy. It’s great to get a quick peck if you’re someone’s grandma, but not if you’re someone’s supposed love interest. If he’s giving you this kind of kiss, it can mean one of two things — either he’s not really into you, or he’s really not into intimacy. Either way, it’s not good.
2. THE OCTOPUS SMOOCH This kind of kiss happens when a guy basically can’t keep his hands off of you. He’s groping you, slobbering on you and pressing his body up against you. While it’s not always the most pleasant kiss in the world, it definitely shows that he’s into you… and that he’s probably not very experienced.
3. THE CASSANOVA This is the kind of kiss that you read about in erotica novels and romance literature. He knows he’s a good kisser and Lord knows you’re enjoying it. He’s not overly drooly or overly grabby, but at the same time, he’s still very active. This kind of kiss is just as much emotional as it is physical, and it’s a surefire sign that he’s good in bed. If you’re lucky enough to get a guy who kisses you Cassanova-style, make no mistake about it — this guy wants you as a girlfriend.
4. THE OPEN EYED KISS This is a French kiss that has one major problem: his eyes are open the entire time. With guys who kiss like this, it’s often a sign that he doesn’t trust you. Unfortunately, the only cure for this is often to give him time or see if he’s willing to talk about it.
5. THE FOREHEAD (OR EYELID) KISS If a guy you like kisses your forehead, it often means that he just sees you as a friend. However, some guys actually use it as a warm up, or do it when they feel protective over a person. Guys who give forehead kisses tend to be a lot more warm, sensitive and nurturing than other men.
6. KISSES ON THE HAND When a guy kisses your hand, he’s straight up trying to turn up the charm. He’s trying to show that he’s traditional, or just watched one too many old school romance movies. Most of the time, it just comes out as an awkward attempt at flirting. That being said, you should be wary of guys who kiss girls’ hands. They most often aren’t really genuine in their attempts to charm.
7. GENTLE KISS Does the guy kissing you act as if you’re made out of glass? If he’s overly gentle, it’s often a sign that he’s nervous and that he’s trying to restrain himself. He also might be a bit insecure about his position with you, so you might want to give him some encouragement.
8. THE VAMPIRE KISS Is he acting a little like Edward Cullen? Is he chomping down on your neck like a beginner vampire? Well, more often than not, this kiss is done as a playful tease or as a precursor to rough sex. If he does this on the regular, it’s very likely that he’s into BDSM — or a big fan of Twilight.
9. THE NECK KISS Whew! Now, this is one erotic and romantic type of kiss! When a guy’s kissing your neck without biting, it means that he wants you – and that he wants you right now. Men who prefer neck kisses to typical mouth kisses may be afraid of actual emotional intimacy, though, so take note if he does this more than actual French kisses.
10. THE SLOPPY KISS This isn’t quite as over-the-top as an Octopus Kiss, but you still have to wipe your mouth every time he does it to you. When a guy does this, there’s no question about him being into you. However, he’s really inexperienced with kissing and doesn’t really have much awareness of how it’s affecting you. If you do date him or sleep with him, don’t be surprised if that lack of concern or lack of experience gets in the way of having fun.
11. THE CLOSED MOUTH KISS Well, you two are kissing mouth to mouth… but there’s no tongue. Unless you have seriously bad breath, this is often a sign that the guy isn’t really interested in you. If he is interested in you, it may be a sign that he tends to be a bit on the old fashioned or even prudish side of things. Either way, expect him to be restrained if he does this.
12. THE GOOFY KISS Whether it’s blowing a kiss or just making a weird kissy face, the answer is the same – this is a guy who wants you to laugh. He’s snarky and to a point, he might even feel like it’ll be his sense of humor that wins you over. If you want to win this guy over, goof off with him and laugh at his jokes.