With the right blend of ingredients, a smoothie can be a nutritional powerhouse –full of antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, and protein.
There are some simple smoothie tips you should follow to ensure that your blend is both delicious and nutritious.
– DO: Measure your ingredients to ensure a good solid-to-liquid ratio.
– DO: Use Greek yoghurt or coconut milk to provide a natural boost of protein and a rich flavor.
– DO: Start with spinach when making a green smoothie since its flavor is easy to mask. Once you have acquired a taste for greens, you can slowly start using kale or parsley.
– DO: Try adding a handful of nuts, flax seeds or tofu. It is a healthy way of adding protein to a smoothie.
-DON’T: Throw handfuls of various ingredients in your blender since you could add extra calories, sugar and fat to your drink.
-DON’T: Add fruit juice since it can load the drink with sugar.
-DON’T: Pour in protein powder since it is often filled with highly processed ingredients.
-DON’T: Add sugar to your smoothie. It will do little to satiate your hunger and you are likely to crash later in the day. Fresh or frozen fruits should naturally sweeten your drink.
– DON’T: Drink a second serving. The calories and sugar can creep up quickly. Try adding ingredients full of fiber, such as avocado and oats, that will keep you feeling full long after your smoothie.
The following green smoothie is full of nutritional ingredients that will also detoxify your liver, kidney and bloodstream. It will also reduce inflammation and help to rehydrate your body. And of course, it’s an incredibly powerful way to help restore your body’s natural pH levels. A stable pH range is critical for your immune system.
The avocado is an awesome fruit. Numerous scientific studies have shown that it has powerful beneficial effects on health. We will just mention some of them:
- It contains more potassium than bananas. Potassium supports healthy blood pressure levels.
- It is loaded with heart-healthy mono saturated fatty acids, which help balance your cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- It is loaded with fiber – an indigestible plant matter that contributes to weight loss, reduce blood sugar spikes and is strongly linked to a lower risk of many diseases.
- It is loaded with powerful antioxidants, Lutein and Zeaxanthin, as well as beta-carotene, which keep your eyes in good health.
- It is a source of vitamin K, which helps keep your bones healthy.
Parsley is a diuretic which means it’ll stimulate kidney activity to flush out toxins. The chlorophyll found in Parsley is terrific for blood purification by removing heavy metals.
Consuming Cilantro has been proven to be one of the most effective methods to remove heavy metals from our bodies. Heavy metals are found everywhere – they’re in pesticides and herbicides used to grow our food, in our water sources and everyday products such as shampoo and deodorant. More and more studies are finding that heavy metals are a contributing source of disease and other health issues.
Lemons are great for restoring the natural pH balance in your body. Everyday we consume food that is very acidic including wheat, sugar, beer and meat. Our body wants to maintain a pH level of 7.365 – adding lemons (and other greens) to your diet will help stabilize your pH level resulting in a stronger immune system.
Spinach is the ultimate super food, it’s cheap, readily available, low in calories, high in chlorophyll, loaded with vitamins and minerals and it’s difficult to find a superior food in terms of protein per calorie.
- 1 lemon, quartered (washed and unpeeled)
- 1 whole avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ bunch parsley
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 1 organic cucumber (washed and unpeeled)
- 1 teaspoon organic extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- ginger (optional)
- water as needed
- berries (optional) – adding berries will make your smoothie sweeter
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend together until smooth, adding water, as needed for desired consistency.
It takes less than 5 minutes to make this green smoothie (and clean up!) and it is also super easy to take on the go. Enjoy!