Stretching muscles is part of our every physical activity. You need to stretch your muscles after each workout so that your body is prepared for relaxation. A common mistake when it comes to stretching is doing it before the muscles are warmed up.
It is important to stretch the muscles when they are warmed up enough. A warm- up increases the temperature in the muscles as well as in the other tissues. It also provides the body with enough oxygen by increasing blood circulation.
Stretching speeds up the recovery of the muscles after a workout (no matter how vigorous it was), reduces the danger from hurting the muscles, ligaments and ankles, and helps in getting relaxed.
It is recommended to stretch from 20 seconds to 1 minute, depending on the person and the exercises done before that.
For doing whichever kind of exercises, you need mental concentration, proper and relaxed breathing, stretching to the point of feeling slight pain, and of course, proper execution of a sufficient number of exercises.
Exercises designed for flexibility give results only if they are done to our own body’s limits.
As always, remember to listen to your body and stop if you do not feel fine with what you are doing. Also, make sure that you are doing all the exercising in the right way, so that you can see the results desired and expected.
Benefits of stretching:
- Stretching will improve your physical fitness
- Increase range of movement
- Relax muscle tension and make the muscles elastic
- Low risk from muscle and ankle injuries
- Reduces the muscle fatigue after training
- Speeds up recovery from workout
- Increases flexibility of collagen tissues
- It’s good for the heart, vessels and lungs
- Improves blood circulation
- We have better control over our body