Sometimes we spend a lot of time dwelling on our single status, as if finding a boyfriend is the only thing that matters in this life. We know that’s not the case, so why are we wasting time? Finding these things are way more important than a relationship:
1. Great friends. You need people you can lean on with no strings attached. Whether you’re in a relationship or single AF, a girl needs her girlfriends. They’ll be there for all your ups and downs, because no matter how great your current or future guy is, there are some things guys just don’t understand.
2. A career you love. There’s more to life than romance, and every job makes a difference in this world. Plus, you can be a hell of a career woman and a great girlfriend — it’s 2016, and you don’t have to sacrifice one for the other. So make sure that you have your own life and you’re not just a parasite feeding off of his.
3. Happiness that comes from within. You don’t need a man to make you happy. You know that already, but sometimes you forget. If you’re basing your happiness on having a boyfriend, you’ll never be truly fulfilled. Any relationship you have should improve your life, but you should be whole without it.
4. A real sense of your self-worth. You need to be able to look in the mirror and feel beautiful, but you also need to know and love who you are as a person and realize your self-worth. Loving yourself and refusing to accept less than you deserve in life will take you far.
5. Short and long-term goals to work towards. The best way to find purpose in life is to set goals. You’ll never feel the rush of endorphins that come with achievement if you have nothing to work for. Whether you have career aspirations, life plans, or simply a kickass bucket list, you’ll be living life to the fullest.
6. Good health. Emotionally, your heart might be yearning for love, but how is it doing physically? Eating a well-balanced diet and exercising on a regular basis could be the difference of you living to your 50s or your 80s. If you want a love that lasts a lifetime, you actually have to be alive to see that wish come true.
7. A sense of adventure. What excites you in this life? Do you love rock climbing, surfing, or roller coasters? It doesn’t matter what gets your adrenaline going as long as something does. You’re only young and unattached once, so go out and live a little.
8. A close bond with your family. These are the people who have always been there and will continue to be there no matter what, so don’t take them for granted. Your love life might be full of heartbreak, but your family is the rock that gets you through it. Having their support will always mean more than your relationship status.
9. Independence. Whether you’re living the single life or the definition of serious relationship, having your independence is a must. You need to be your own person and have your own life separate from your romantic endeavors. It’s admirable to have the humility to lean on others, but most importantly, you need to know how to survive and thrive on your own.